- April 17: Results for the final are now available on MarkUs. Remark requests for the final (or any other piece of term work) must be submitted within 24 hours, i.e. no later than 10pm EST on Saturday April 18. See this Piazza thread for more details, and this thread for a caveat about trying to predict your final grade. Solutions to the final have also been posted here. You'll need to use the username "236" and the password "bookends" to access it.
- April 13: All results for quiz 9 (the last quiz which was written in person) should now be available on MarkUs. Apologies for the delay - there were some logistical issues with this one.
- April 13: Results for assignment 3 (and the last tutorial quiz) are available on MarkUs. Please be sure to file any remark requests no later than the 16th, so that I can attend to them before final grades need to be submitted.
- April 6: If you are writing the final during the regularly scheduled period, you should receive an e-mail tonight at midnight with a link to the handout for the final. Piazza will now be set to default to private questions (please do not override this for questions related to the final).
- April 4: Results for assignment 2 are now available on MarkUs. Note: Your actual grade is out of 41, not 54 (13 of the marks are bonus marks). See this Piazza post for some more information on the marking.
- April 4: Assignment 3 sample solutions have been posted.
- April 2: Results from the second midterm are now available on MarkUs. See this Piazza post for some more details on the grading.
- March 30: The vote on changes to the marking scheme has concluded after being open for 7 days. The changes pass with a count of 59 in favour and 10 opposed. I have updated the information on the course website to reflect these changes. (You can still find a link to the course information sheet with the original marking scheme on the main page.)
- March 28: Lecture slides, exercises, and a video recording have been posted (a bit early) for the final week. Note that we will also have a final tutorial this week.
- March 26: If you previously contacted me about missing the second midterm on Monday, you should now have received an e-mail from me about the schedule for a make-up test. If you were planning on writing a make-up midterm and you did not receive an e-mail from me, please contact me asap.
- March 23: Assignment 3 has been posted
- March 23: A poll on proposed changes to the marking scheme has been posted on Piazza. These changes will take effect if they're approved by a simple majority of students. The changes include an assessment to replace the final exam, increasing the weight of some term work, and changing the way quiz grades are calculated.
- March 23: Solutions for test 2 have been posted
- March 23: Here is a link to midterm 2. And here is a link to a roomier version with space to write answers, if you prefer to annotate the pdf directly.
- March 20: I've posted a note to Piazza outlining some proposed changes to the grading scheme, including an assessment to replace the final exam. I will be holding a formal vote early next week, but this is your opportunity to advocate for any modifications to my proposed changes before the vote opens.
- March 20: Assignment 2 sample solutions have been posted. See Piazza for some notes on these solutions.
- March 17: I've made some updates to the "last 3 weeks" page, most importantly giving details of an online test Monday March 23rd @ 12:00 to replace the second midterm originally scheduled for yesterday.
- March 16: Week 10 lecture recordings have been posted to the 'Lectures & Tutorials' section, alongside the lecture slides.
- March 15: I've posted a document outlining the changes to the format of this course for our last 3 weeks. It's long, but please read it over.
- March 13: Some brief notes regarding the effect on this course of cancellation of in-person classes (stay tuned for more details, such as the delivery of lectures and tutorials going forward):
- Term test 2 (originally scheduled for March 16) is cancelled. (A replacement assessment may be announced later.)
- Today's tutorial and quiz will proceed as planned. Subsequent tutorials will be delivered online (with the exact details TBA).
- March 13: A copy of the formula sheet that will be given out with term test 2 has been posted to the 'Tests' section of the course website.
- March 11: Following an in-class vote, the deadline for assignment 2 has been extended to Sunday March 15th at 3pm.
- March 5: I will be holding extra office hours on Friday March 6 at 2pm in BA4290.
- March 4: The posted assignment 2 handout has been updated with two minor clarification:
- Q1 parts (b) and (d): added instruction to not use the Master Theorem
- Q3: footnote added to clarify that a precondition of maj is that it contains a majority element
- March 3: The week 8 exercises have been updated with one additional (short) question.
- Feb 27: The complete assignment 2 handout has been posted to the Assignments section. I will be spending some time at the beginning of Monday's lecture going over the assignment.
- Feb 24: A1 results have been posted to MarkUs. Note that, as mentioned in lecture and on Piazza, question 2b was originally marked out of 3, but I decided to reduce its weight by half. To calculate your 'real' A1 grade, you should multiply your q2b grade by .5 and treat the assignment as being out of 31.5 instead of 33.
Week 6.5 (Reading Week)
- Feb 18: A sneak peek of assignment 2 has been posted. The final assignment will include one additional question, and will be posted (along with starter
.tex source) later this week.
- Feb 12: Grades for the first midterm have been posted to MarkUs.
- Feb 1: In addition to the solutions to the tutorial exercises for week 4, quiz solutions have also been posted to the Lectures & tutorials section. I'll continue to post solutions for future quizzes from this point.
- Feb 1: Sample solutions for assignment 1 have been posted to the Assignments section of the website.
- Jan 30: Some links to past midterms have been posted to the Tests section of the website.
- Jan 28: I will be holding even more extra office hours today, from 2-4pm in BA3201.
- Jan 23: I will be holding extra office hours next Monday the 27th from 2-4pm (i.e. immediately after lecture) in BA3289. Feel free to drop by, especially if you have questions about assignment 1 (or need LaTeX help).
- Jan 19: A new Tests section has been added to the website, with information about midterms and the exam.
- Jan 19: Beginning this week, several tutorial rooms have changed. Check the Lectures & tutorials section to see if your tutorial will be in a new room. (This will be true if-and-only-if your tutorial was in a building other than University College).
- Jan 11: Week 2 materials (lecture slides and tutorial exercises) have been posted to the Lectures & tutorials page. (In the future, you can expect the raw slides and exercises for each week to generally be uploaded the weekend before.)
- Jan 11: A link to assignment 1 has been posted to the Assignments section of the site. I'll be talking a bit about A1 in Monday's lecture. I also created a dedicated LaTeX page, containing some tips and helpful links.
- Jan 10: Solutions to the first set of tutorial exercises have been posted to the Lectures & tutorials page. (In the future, you can expect this to happen every Friday evening - it will not be announced)
- Jan 8: Annotated slides from week 1 have been posted to the Lectures & tutorials page. (In the future, you can expect this to happen every Wednesday evening - it will not be announced)
- Jan 7: Tutorial rooms have been posted to the Lectures & tutorials page. (But be aware that these may change in the near future)