I'm a CIFAR Junior Fellow supervised by Geoffrey Hinton in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Toronto.
- Recurrent neural networks (especially LSTM)
- Supervised sequence labelling (especially speech and handwriting recognition)
- Unsupervised sequence learning
RNNLIB, a software library implementing most of the recurrent neural networks used in my work, can be freely downloaded from here, with usage and installation instructions here. RNNLIB is distributed under version 3.0 of the GPL open source software license.
- A. Graves, N. Jaitly, A. Mohamed. Hybrid Speech Recognition with Deep Bidirectional LSTM. ASRU 2013, Olomouc, Czech Republic. [pdf, poster]
- A. Graves. Generating Sequences With Recurrent Neural Networks [arxiv, slides, demo]
- A. Graves, A. Mohamed, G. Hinton. Speech Recognition with Deep Recurrent Neural Networks. ICASSP 2013, Vancouver, Canada. [pdf]
- A. Graves. Sequence Transduction with Recurrent Neural Networks. Representation Learning Worksop, ICML 2012, Edinburgh, Scotland. [arxiv, talk,slides]
- A. Graves. Supervised Sequence Labelling with Recurrent Neural Networks. Textbook, Studies in Computational Intelligence, Springer, 2012. [web, preprint]
- A. Graves. Offline Arabic Handwriting Recognition with Multidimensional Neural Networks. Book Chapter, Guide to OCR for Arabic Scripts, Springer, 2012. [pdf]
- M. Liwicki, A. Graves, and H. Bunke. Neural Networks for Handwriting Recognition. Book chapter, Computational Intelligence Paradigms in Advanced Pattern Classification, pp. 5--24, Springer, 2012
- A. Graves. Practical Variational Inference for Neural Networks. NIPS 2011, pp 545-552. [pdf, poster, spotlight]
- J. Schmidhuber, D. Ciresan, U. Meier, J. Masci and A. Graves. On fast deep nets for AGI vision, AG1 2011, pp. 243-246.
- F. Eyben, S. Böck, B. Schuller and A. Graves. Universal Onset Detection with Bidirectional Long-Short Term Memory Neural Networks. 11th Intern. Soc. for Music Information Retrieval Conference, ISMIR, Utrecht, Holland, pp. 589-594, August 2010.
- M. Felder, A. Kaifel and A. Graves. Wind Power Prediction Using Mixture Density Recurrent Neural Networks. European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition, April 2010.
- F. Sehnke, C. Osendorfer, T. Rückstieß, A. Graves, J. Peters and J. Schmidhuber. Parameter-exploring policy gradients. Neural Networks, 23(2), March 2010.
- F. Sehnke, A. Graves, C. Osendorfer and J. Schmidhuber. Multimodal parameter-exploring policy gradients. ICMLA 2010, pp. 113-118.
- M. Wöllmer, F. Eyben, A. Graves, B. Schuller and G. Rigoll. Non-Linear Speech Processing, chapter, Improving Keyword Spotting with a Tandem BLSTM-DBN Architecture, pp. 68-75. Springer Heidelberg, LNAI 5933, 2010.
- M. Wöllmer, F. Eyben, A. Graves, B. Schuller and G. Rigoll. Bidirectional LSTM networks for context-sensitive keyword detection in a cognitive virtual agent framework. Cognitive Computation, Special Issue on Non-Linear and Non-Conventional Speech Processing, 2010.
- M. Wöllmer, F. Eyben, J. Keshet, A. Graves, B. Schuller and G. Rigoll. Robust discriminative keyword spotting for emotionally colored spontaneous speech using bidirectional LSTM networks. ICASSP 2009, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 3949-3952.
- F. Eyben, M. Wöllmer, B. Schuller and A. Graves. From speech to letters - using a novel neural network architecture for grapheme based ASR. IEEE Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding Workshop, pp. 376-380, Merano, Italy, 2009.
- F. Eyben, M. Wöllmer, A. Graves, B. Schuller, E. Douglas-Cowie and R. Cowie. On-line emotion recognition in a 3-d activation-valence-time continuum using acoustic and linguistic cues. Journal on Multimodal User Interfaces (JMUI), Special Issue on Real-time Affect Analysis and Interpretation: Closing the Loop in Virtual Agents, 3:7-19, 2009.
- A. Graves, M. Liwicki, S. Fernández, R. Bertolami, H. Bunke, and J. Schmidhuber. A novel connectionist system for unconstrained handwriting recognition. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Volume 31 Issue 5, May 2009 pp. 855-868. [pdf]
- M. Wöllmer, F. Eyben, A. Graves, B. Schuller and G. Rigoll. A tandem BLSTM-DBN architecture for keyword spotting with enhanced context modeling. NOLISP 2009, ISCA Tutorial and Research Workshop on Non-Linear Speech Processing, Vic, Spain, 2009.
- A. Graves and J. Schmidhuber. Offline handwriting recognition with multidimensional recurrent neural networks. NIPS 2008, Vancouver, Canada, pp. 545-552. [pdf, poster, spotlight]
- A. Graves, C. Mayer, M. Wimmer, J. Schmidhuber, and B. Radig. Facial expression recognition with recurrent neural networks. International Workshop on Cognition for Technical Systems, Munich, Germany, October 2008. [pdf]
- A. Graves. Supervised Sequence Labelling with Recurrent Neural Networks. Dissertation, Technische Universität München, München, July 2008. See extended book version (above) for pdf.
- S. Fernández, A. Graves, and J. Schmidhuber. Phoneme recognition in TIMIT with BLSTM-CTC. [arXiv]
- F. Sehnke, C. Osendorfer, T. Rückstieß, A. Graves, J. Peters, and J. Schmidhuber. Policy gradients with parameter-based exploration for control. ICANN 2008, Prague, Czech Republic, pp. 387-396.
- A. Graves, S. Fernández, M. Liwicki, H. Bunke and J. Schmidhuber. Unconstrained online handwriting recognition with recurrent neural networks. NIPS 2007, Vancouver, Canada. [pdf, poster, spotlight]
- A. Graves, S. Fernández, J. Schmidhuber. Multi-Dimensional Recurrent Neural Networks. ICANN 2007, Porto, Portugal, pp. 549-558. [pdf]
- S. Fernández, A. Graves, J. Schmidhuber. An application of recurrent neural networks to discriminative keyword spotting. ICANN 2007, Porto, Portugal, pp. 220-229. [pdf]
- M. Liwicki, A. Graves, S. Fernández, H. Bunke, J. Schmidhuber. A Novel Approach to On-Line Handwriting Recognition Based on Bidirectional Long Short-Term Memory Networks. ICDAR 2007, Curitiba, Brazil, pp. 367-371. [pdf]
- A. Förster, A. Graves, and J. Schmidhuber. RNN-based Learning of Compact Maps for Efficient Robot Localization. ESANN 2007, Bruges, Belgium, pp. 537-542. [pdf]
- S. Fernández, A. Graves, J. Schmidhuber. Sequence labelling in structured domains with hierarchical recurrent neural networks. IJCAI 2007, Hyderabad, India, pp. 774-779. [pdf]
- A. Graves, S. Fernández, F. Gomez, J. Schmidhuber. Connectionist Temporal Classification: Labelling Unsegmented Sequence Data with Recurrent Neural Networks. ICML 2006, Pittsburgh, USA, pp. 369-376. [pdf]
- A. Graves, J. Schmidhuber. Framewise Phoneme Classification with Bidirectional LSTM and Other Neural Network Architectures. Neural Networks, Volume 18:5-6, pp. 602-610, 2005. [pdf]
- A. Graves, S. Fernández, J. Schmidhuber. Bidirectional LSTM Networks for Improved Phoneme Classification and Recognition. ICANN 2005, Warsaw, Poland, pp. 799-804. [pdf]
- N. Beringer, A. Graves, F. Schiel, J. Schmidhuber. Classifying unprompted speech by retraining LSTM Nets. ICANN 2005, Warsaw, Poland, pp. 575-581.
- A. Graves, J. Schmidhuber. Framewise Phoneme Classification with Bidirectional LSTM Networks. IJCNN 2005, Montreal, Canada, pp. 2047-2052. [pdf]
- A. Graves, N. Beringer, J. Schmidhuber. A Comparison Between Spiking and Differentiable Recurrent Neural Networks on Spoken Digit Recognition. NCI 2004, Grindelwald, Switzerland, pp. 164-168.
- A. Graves, D. Eck, N. Beringer, J. Schmidhuber. Biologically Plausible Speech Recognition with LSTM Neural Nets. Bio-ADIT 2004, Lausanne, Switzerland, pp. 175-184.