My research is on designing, exploring and extending the capabilities of intelligent decision systems,
aiming to ease and assist the human decision making. In particular, my focus is on developing models of computation, algorithms,
and intelligent systems designed around our social, psychological, and even economic needs.
I have contributed in various areas of computer science such as recommender systems, artificial intelligence, applied machine learning,
computer security, and human-computer interaction. Recently, my focus is on decision making in social
and economic networks with two intertwined folds: (i) studying, analyzing, and modelling how individuals make decisions
when their preferences depend on their friends’ preferences (ii) designing effective group recommendation systems
which harness such dependencies.
Research Interest Keywords. Artificial Inteligence, Machine Learning, Intelligent Decision Systems, Recommender Systems, Social and Economic Networks, Decision Making, Network Science, Probabilistic Modelling, Multi-agent Systems, Social Choice, Human Computation, Computer Security, and Authentication.
- Brent MacRae, Amirali Salehi-Abari, and Julie Thorpe. An Exploration of Geographic Authentication Schemes. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 11(9):1997-2012, 2016.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Craig Boutilier. Preference-oriented Social Networks: Group Recommendation and Inference. In RecSys’15: Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, pp. 35-42, Vienna, Austria.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Craig Boutilier. Empathetic Social Choice on Social Networks. In AAMAS’14: Proceedings of The 13th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, pp. 693-700, Paris, France. Expanded version with appendix and proofs. Supercedes the earlier version below appeared in COMSOC’12.
- Julie Thorpe, Muath Al-Badawi, Brent MacRae, and Amirali Salehi-Abari. The Presentation Effect on Graphical Passwords. In CHI’14: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 2947-2950, Toronto, Canada.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Craig Boutilier. Ranking Networks. NIPS’13 Workshop on Frontiers of Network Analysis: Methods, Models, and Applications. Lake Tahoe, NV, USA.
- Julie Thorpe, Brent MacRae, and Amirali Salehi-Abari. Usability and Security Evaluation of GeoPass: a Geographic Location-Password Scheme. In SOUPS’13: Proceedings of the Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security, pp. 1-14, Newcastle, UK.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Craig Boutilier. Empathetic Social Choice on Social Networks. In COMSOC’12: The Fourth International Workshop on Computational Social Choice, Krakow, Poland.
- Julie Thorpe, Amirali Salehi-Abari, and Robert Burden. Video-Passwords: Advertising While Authenticating. In NSPW’12: Proceedings of the New Security Paradigms Workshop, pp. 127-140, Bertinoro, Italy.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. DART: A Distributed Analysis of Reputation and Trust Framework. Computational Intelligence, 28(4): 642-682, 2012.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. Trust Models and Con-man Agents: From Mathematical to Empirical Analysis. In AAAI’10: Proceedings of Twenty-Fourth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 842-847, Atlanta GA, USA, 2010.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. The Relationship of Trust, Demand and Utility: Be More Trustworthy, Then I Will Buy More. In PST’10: Proceedings of the 8th Annual International Conference on Privacy, Security and Trust, pp. 72-79, Canada, August 2010. (Winner, Best Student Paper Award.)
- P.C. van Oorschot, Amirali Salehi-Abari, and Julie Thorpe. Purely Automated Attacks on PassPoints-Style Graphical Passwords. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 5(3): 393-405, 2010.
- Tony White, Amirali Salehi-Abari and Braden Box. On How Ants Put Advertisements on the Web. In IEA-AIE 2010: Proceedings of Twenty-Third International Conference on Industrial, Engineering and Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems, pp. 494-503, Spain, 2010.
- Tony White, Wayne Chu, and Amirali Salehi-Abari. Media Monitoring Using Social Networks. In Proceedings of The 2nd International Conference on Social Computing, pp. 661-668, Minneapolis MN, USA, August 2010.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. Towards Con-resistant Trust Models for Distributed Agent Systems. In IJCAI’09: Proceedings of the Twenty-first International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 272-277, Pasadena, CA, USA, 2009.
- Tony White, Shaun McQuaker, and Amirali Salehi-Abari. On the Importance of Relational Concept Knowledge in Referral Networks. Artificial Intelligence Review, 29(3):287-303, 2009.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. On the Impact of Witness-Based Collusion in Agent Societies . In PRIMA’09: Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Principles of Practice in Multi-Agent Systems, pp. 80�96, Nagoya, Japan, December 2009.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. The Uphill Battle of Ant Programming vs. Genetic Programming. In ICEC’09: International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 171-176, Madeira, Portugal, 2009.
- Tony White and Amirali Salehi-Abari. An Adaptive Swarm-based Algorithm for Resource Allocation in Dynamic Environments. In ICEC’09: International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 183-189, Madeira, Portugal, 2009.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. The Impact of Naive Agents in Heterogeneous Trust-aware Societies. In MABS’09: The 10th International Workshop on Multi-Agent-Based Simulation, Budapest, HU, 2009.
- Tony White, Shaun McQuaker, Amirali Salehi-Abari. Using Relational Concept Knowledge to Improve Search in Referral Networks. In AAMAS’09: Proceedings of the Eighth International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, pp. 1321-1322, Budapest, Hungary, 2009.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. Enhanced Generalized Ant Programming (EGAP). In GECCO’08: Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 111-118, Atlanta, USA, 2008.
- Tony White and Amirali Salehi-Abari. A Swarm-based Crossover Operator for Genetic Programming. In GECCO’08: Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1345-1346, Atlanta, USA, 2008
- Amirali Salehi-Abari, Julie Thorpe, and P. C. Oorschot. On Purely Automated Attacks and Click-Based Graphical Passwords. In ACSAC’08: Proceedings of the 2008 Annual Computer Security Applications Conference, pp. 111-120, Anaheim, CA, USA, 2008.