Brief BiosketchRuslan Salakhutdinov received his PhD in machine learning (computer science) from the University of Toronto in 2009. After spending two post-doctoral years at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Artificial Intelligence Lab, he joined the University of Toronto as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Department of Statistics.
Dr. Salakhutdinov's primary interests lie in statistical machine learning, deep learning, probabilistic graphical models, and large-scale optimization. He is the recipient of the Early Researcher Award, Connaught New Researcher Award, Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, Microsoft Research Faculty Fellowship, Google Faculty Research Award, and a Fellow of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research.
University of Toronto (2011 -- present)
Department of Computer Science and Department of Statistics
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2009 -- 2011)
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences and Computer Science & AI Laboratory (CSAIL).
- University of Toronto (2005 -- 2009)
PhD, University of Toronto, Machine Learning.
|NSERC||Province of Ontario||University of Toronto||Canadian Institute for Advanced Research|
|Alfred P. Sloan Foundation||Google Research||Microsoft Research||Samsung|
|Office of Naval Research||DARPA||Raytheon BBN Technologies|
Grants, Scholarships and Fellowships
As a faculty member:
- Samsung, Deep Learning Grant, 2015-2017
- Raytheon BBN Technologies, Deep Learning for Video Analysis, 2014-2016
- Samsung, Deep Learning for Face Recognition, 2014-2015
- Google Faculty Award, 2014-2015
- ONR Grant, Deep Structured Learning for Scene Understanding, 2013-2017
- Microsoft Research Faculty Fellowship, 2013-2015
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, 2013-2015
- Dean's Merit Award, 2012, 2013.
- Connaught New Researcher Award (2012 - 2014)
- Early Researcher Award (2012-2017)
- NSERC Individual Discovery Grant , along with NSERC Early Career Researcher Supplement (2012-2017)
- Canadian Institute for Advanced Research
(CIFAR) (2011 -- 2014),
Fellow of the Neural Computation and Adaptive Perception Program
As a postdoc:
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC):
Postdoctoral Fellowship (2009 -2011).
The UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (2009 -- 2012)
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Theoretical Computer Science (Declined)
As a student:
- NSERC Canada Graduate Scholarship.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (Declined).
- Precarn Scholar, Canada.
Invited Conference/Research Workshop
- I am serving asn an Area Chair for ICML 2015.
- I am serving as an Action Editor for JMLR, 2013-2016.
- I joining editorial board of JAIR, 2014-2017.
- I served as a Demonstration Chair for NIPS 2013.
- I served as an Area Chair for the ICML 2013 program committee.
as an Area Chair for the
NIPS 2012 program committee.
as a Workshop Chair for the
- I served
as an Area Chair for the
- I served as an Area Chair for the NIPS 2011 program committee.
- I served as an ICML 2011 Area Chair for Deep Learning, Optimization Algorithms, Recommendation and Matrix Factorization.
Senior Program Committee
I co-organized ICML 2013 workshop on
Inferning: Interactions between Inference and Learning.
- Quoc V. Le,
and I are organizing
a NIPS (2011) workshop on
Challenges in Learning Hierarchical Models: Transfer Learning and
- Together with Ryan Adams, Josh Tenenbaum, Zoubin Ghahramani, and Tom Griffiths, I organized
a NIPS workshop on
Transfer Learning Via Rich Generative Models
Amir Globerson, David Sontag, and I organized a workshop on
Approximate Learning of Large Scale Graphical Models:
Theory and Applications,
Together with Kai Yu, Yann LeCun, Geoffrey Hinton, and Yoshua Bengio,
I organized a workshop on
Learning Feature Hierarchies,
- I was co-organizing Deep Learning Workshop: Foundations and Future Directions, NIPS 2007.