Welcome to Tijmen Tieleman's website (now somewhat defunct).
I graduated from Geoff Hinton's lab at the University of Toronto with a PhD in machine learning, in 2014.
Other academic interests:
- Multilayer deterministic feedforward neural networks with unusual ingredients (see thesis).
- Multilayer neural networks, using Restricted Boltzmann Machines.
- Using artificial intelligence as a tool (as opposed to purpose) in programs - that's interesting because it's a useful tool, and sometimes it can do
some of the boring work for me.
- The theory and practice of programming (e.g. compilers and interpreters, algorithm design, programming languagues, meta programming, and programming tricks) - that's
interesting because I program a lot. See also my programming page.
- The study of logic and the principles of mathematics. I enjoy studying this, and I've taken some excellent courses in this field.
- Probability theory - especially its paradoxes (like the paradox of the two envelopes).
Software & tools
The Gnumpy module for accessing GPU's from Python
The affNIST dataset
Some pictures: 2007, 2011, and 2012.
My great hobby is (partner) dancing, and the dance that seems to have all others in it is Argentine Tango. Undoubtedly the best Tango teacher in
Toronto is the wonderful Leeliana. She teaches
in a way that is wonderfully warm & welcoming, as well as very thorough & professional - which is a beautiful but rare combination. The school has a bit of rotation of teachers, and right now it's a team of three, of which I am one.