Welcome to Tijmen Tieleman's website (now somewhat defunct).
I graduated from Geoff Hinton's lab at the University of Toronto with a PhD in Deep Learning, in 2014.
Other academic interests:
- Multilayer deterministic feedforward neural networks with unusual ingredients (see thesis).
- Multilayer neural networks, using Restricted Boltzmann Machines.
- Using artificial intelligence as a tool (as opposed to purpose) in programs - that's interesting because it's a useful tool, and sometimes it can do
some of the boring work for me.
- The theory and practice of programming (e.g. compilers and interpreters, algorithm design, programming languagues, meta programming, and programming tricks) - that's
interesting because I program a lot. See also my programming page.
- The study of logic and the principles of mathematics. I enjoy studying this, and I've taken some excellent courses in this field.
- Probability theory - especially its paradoxes (like the paradox of the two envelopes).
Software & tools
The Gnumpy module for accessing GPU's from Python
The affNIST dataset