Zining Zhu (朱子宁)
PhD Student, University of Toronto
My long-term goal is to build reliable and trustworthy NLP systems that can stably deploy across domains. I am interested in understanding the mechanisms and abilities of neural NLP systems to encode and use knowledge, with language as a medium.
Following are some ongoing projects:
Probing: Methods and material for diagnostic classification.
Reasoning: Studying the abilities of neural systems to use knowledge in human-like manners.
Discourse & pragmatics: Analyzing discourse from interpretable and scalable dimensions.
Society: Exploring the sentiment, emotion, morality, and other aspects of social media texts.
[Interested in these projects?] [or an Interpretable NLP seminar?]
| University of Toronto 2019 - 2024 (Expected)
Ph.D student in Computer Science
Supervisor: Frank Rudzicz
|University of Toronto 2014 - 2019
Bachelor in Engineering Science, Robotics option.
| Tencent Jarvis Lab, Machine Learning Engineering Intern, May 2019 - Aug 2019
Neural language models and pre-training techniques.
|Winterlight Labs, Research Software Engineer, Sep 2017 - Sep 2018
Automatic detection of dementia from narrative speeches.
|TripAdvisor, Software Engineering Intern, June - Aug, 2017
Android applications and Java API.
|Dynamic Systems Lab at UTIAS, Research Assistant, May - Sep, 2016
Enhancing drone controllers using deep neural networks.
University of Toronto, as Teaching Assistant:
- CSCC24 Principles of Programming Languages, 2021 summer
- CSC148 Introduction to Computer Science, 2021 summer
- CSC401/2511 Natural Languages Computing, 2020 winter, 2021 winter
- CSC309 Web Programming, 2020 fall
- ECE324 Introduction to Machine Intelligence, 2019 fall
- CSC180 Introduction to Computer Science: 2016 fall
- Reviewing for conferences:
- ACL (2020, 2021)
- EMNLP (2020, 2021)
- NAACL (2021)
- AAAI (2021)
- Reviewing for journals:
- IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics (2020)
- Computer Methods & Programs in Biomedicine (2018)
- Vector Institute PhD Fellowship, 2020
- Dean’s List, undergraduate years 2014 - 2019
- Engineering Science Research Opportunity Program (ESROP) fellowship, 2016 summer
- Chinese Physics Olympics (CPhO) Provincial 1st Prize, 2013
- Invited talk. Improving the neural NLP model performances with linguistic probes, Zhi-Yi Technology Advances in NLP talk, Nov 20, 2020
- Invited talk. An information theoretic view on selecting linguistic probes, Tsinghua University AI TIME talk, Oct 30, 2020
- Spotlight talk. Examining the rhetorical capacities of neural language models, Vector Institute NLP Symposium, Sep 16, 2020
- Invited talk. RecitalBoard: Efficient pre-training methods for language modeling, Tencent Jarvis Lab, Shenzhen, China, Aug 5, 2019
- Invited talk. Detecting cognitive impairments with machine learning, UTMIST, Toronto, Canada, Nov 20, 2018
- Invited talk. Probabilistic Graphical Models, UTADA, Toronto, Canada, Oct 21, 2017
- TechXplore, A new machine learning model to isolate the effects of age in predicting dementia July 27, 2018