Phase-Based Measurement of Optical Flow and Binocular Disparity
Among my most significant contributions in machine vision are the
development and analysis of phase-based techniques for measuring
optical flow, image orientation, and binocular disparity.
With Allan Jepson (University of Toronto) and Michael Jenkin (York
University), my research on local phase information has involved both
experimental and theoretical work. In addition to developing algorithms
for phase-based matching, we have examined the stability of phase
information, showing how unreliable measurements can be identified and
rejected. Leif Haglund (PhD, Linkoping University),
Keith Langley (University College London) and I have since extended these
techniques with the use recursive spatiotemporal filters toward real-time
implementations, and to the measurement of multiple orientations in
small image regions for estimating surface orientation.
- Fleet, D.J. (1992) Measurement of Image Velocity.
Kluwer Academic Press, Norwell, MA.
- Fleet, D.J. and Jepson, A.D. (1993) Stability of phase information.
IEEE Trans on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,
- Jepson, A.D. and Fleet, D.J. (1991) Phase singularities in
scale-space. Image and Vision Computing Journal, 9(5): 338--343
- Fleet, D.J., Jepson, A.D., and Jenkin, M. (1991) Phase-based
disparity measurement. CVGIP: Image Understanding, 53(2): 198--210
- Fleet, D.J. and Jepson, A.D. (1990) Computation of component image
velocity from local phase information. International Journal of Computer
Vision, 5(1): 77--104
- Haglund, L. and Fleet, D.J. (1994) Stable estimation of image
orientation. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing,
Austin, November Vol. III, pp. 68-72
- Clifford, C., Langley, K. and Fleet, D.J. (1995) Centre-frequency
adaptive IIR temporal filters for phase-based image velocity estimation.
IEE International Conference on Image Processing and Applications,
Edinburgh, July, pp. 173-178
- Fleet, D.J. (1994) Disparity from local weighted phase-correlation.
IEEE International Conference on SMC, San Antonio, October, pp. 48-56
- Langley, K. and Fleet, D.J. (1992) Recursive filters for phase-based
optical flow. Isreali Conference on Vision and AI, Ramat Gan,
Isreal, December, pp. 255-264
- Langley, K. and Fleet, D.J. (1992) Multiple binaural time delay
estimation. ESCA Workshop on Speech Processing in Adverse
Conditions, Cannes, November, pp. 159-162 (ISSN 1018-4554)
- Langley, K., Fleet, D.J., and Atherton, T.J. (1992) Multiple motions
from instantaneous frequency. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision
and Pattern Recognition, Champaign, June, pp. 846-849
Return to David Fleet's home page.