David Neto's bio
Updated September 4, 1997
Updated (September 4, 1997): I am the world champion
of wet tennis.
- am married.
- was born before the first moon landing.
- attended Bloor Collegiate Institute (high school).
- co-founded MAT 007 I News,
a recreational undergraduate mathematics newsletter.
- completed my PhD in Computer Science (May 25, 1999).
The thesis title is Efficient Cluster Compensation for Lin-Kernighan
Heuristics. Derek Corneil
supervised the work.
- earned a bachelor's degree at the University of Toronto, specializing
in Mathematics and
- earned a master's degree in computer science in 1993 under the supervision
of Faith Fich. The title of my MSc thesis is PRAM Computation
on Fractured Domains.
- co-own a Saturn (car).
- have taken part in job fairs put on by the Portuguese Canadian Student
Federation because I believe in apprenticeship and in the importance of
- participated in an ACM Regional Programming Contest in 1992. My teammates
were Andy Brownbill
and Geoffrey Waigh.
- coached the St. George campus (University of Toronto)
entry in the 1997 ACM East-Central Regional Programming Contest.
I was proud to take Eitan Grinspun, Jonathan Shekter, and Matt Szczesny
down to Notre Dame. Many thanks to the Department of Computer Science
for sponsoring these teams.
- really like peaches.
- like to read books.
- like music.
- have been declared ``the world champion of wet tennis'' by my
brother John, after our match in Toronto on
Sunday August 31, 1997. Who else plays tennis in the rain?
- have been no further west than Oahu, no further east than Lisbon,
no further north than Edmonton, and no further south than Xcaret, Mexico.
- prefer to prepare my tax returns
- have had a web page since January 1995.