The comp-activ databases is a collection of a computer systems activity
measures . The data was collected from a Sun Sparcstation 20/712 with 128
Mbytes of memory running in a multi-user university department. Users would
typically be doing a large variety of tasks ranging from accessing the internet,
editing files or running very cpu-bound programs. The data was collected
continuously on two separate occasions. On both occassions, system activity was
gathered every 5 seconds. The final dataset
is taken from both occasions with equal numbers of observations coming from
each collection epoch in random order.
System measures used:
- lread - Reads (transfers per second ) between system memory and user
- lwrite - writes (transfers per second) between system memory and user
- scall - Number of system calls of all types per second
- sread - Number of system read calls per second .
- swrite - Number of system write calls per second .
- fork - Number of system fork calls per second.
- exec - Number of system exec calls per second.
- rchar - Number of characters transferred per second by system read calls
- wchar - Number of characters transfreed per second by system write calls
- pgout - Number of page out requests per second
- ppgout - Number of pages, paged out per second
- pgfree - Number of pages per second placed on the free list.
- pgscan - Number of pages checked if they can be freed per second
- atch - Number of page attaches (satisfying a page fault by reclaiming a
page in memory) per second
- pgin - Number of page-in requests per second
- ppgin - Number of pages paged in per second
- pflt - Number of page faults caused by protection errors (copy-on-writes).
- vflt - Number of page faults caused by address translation .
- runqsz - Process run queue size
- freemem - Number of memory pages available to user processes
- freeswap - Number of disk blocks available for page swapping.
- usr - Portion of time (%) that cpus run in user mode
- sys - Portion of time (%) that cpus run in system mode
- wio - Portion of time (%) that cpus are idle waiting for block IO
- idle - Portion of time (%) that cpus are otherwise idle
- Predict usr, portion of time, that cpus run in user mode
from all attributes 1-21.
- Predict usr using a restricted number (excluding the paging
information 10-18) of attributes.