My research is on designing effective decision-support systems and information systems, aiming to ease and assist the human decision making. By studying human decision making processes in various contexts through both theoretical and empirical analyses, I develop models of computation and information systems designed around our social, informational, and even economic needs. I have contributed in various areas of computer science such as recommender systems, artificial intelligence, computer security, and human-computer interaction. Recently, my focus is on decision making in social and economic networks with two intertwined folds: (i) studying, analyzing, and modelling how individuals make decisions when their preferences depend on their friends’ preferences (ii) designing effective decision-support systems which harness such dependencies.
Research Interest Keywords. Decision-Support Systems, Recommender Systems, Social and Economic Networks, Decision Making, Network Science, Probabilistic Modelling, Artificial Intelligence, Multi-agent Systems, Machine Learning, Social Choice, Human Factors, Human Computation, Computer Security, and Authentication.
- Brent MacRae, Amirali Salehi-Abari, and Julie Thorpe. An Exploration of Geographic Authentication Schemes. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 11(9):1997--2012, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/TIFS.2016.2570681
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Craig Boutilier. Preference-oriented Social Networks: Group Recommendation and Inference. In RecSys’15: Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, pp. 35-42, Vienna, Austria.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Craig Boutilier. Empathetic Social Choice on Social Networks. In AAMAS’14: Proceedings of The 13th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, pp. 693-700, Paris, France. Expanded version with appendix and proofs. Supercedes the earlier version below appeared in COMSOC’12.
- Julie Thorpe, Muath Al-Badawi, Brent MacRae, and Amirali Salehi-Abari. The Presentation Effect on Graphical Passwords. In CHI’14: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 2947-2950, Toronto, Canada.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Craig Boutilier. Ranking Networks. NIPS’13 Workshop on Frontiers of Network Analysis: Methods, Models, and Applications. Lake Tahoe, NV, USA.
- Julie Thorpe, Brent MacRae, and Amirali Salehi-Abari. Usability and Security Evaluation of GeoPass: a Geographic Location-Password Scheme. In SOUPS’13: Proceedings of the Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security, pp. 1-14, Newcastle, UK.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Craig Boutilier. Empathetic Social Choice on Social Networks. In COMSOC’12: The Fourth International Workshop on Computational Social Choice, Kraków, Poland.
- Julie Thorpe, Amirali Salehi-Abari, and Robert Burden. Video-Passwords: Advertising While Authenticating. In NSPW’12: Proceedings of the New Security Paradigms Workshop, pp. 127-140, Bertinoro, Italy.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. DART: A Distributed Analysis of Reputation and Trust Framework. Computational Intelligence, 28(4): 642-682, 2012.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. Trust Models and Con-man Agents: From Mathematical to Empirical Analysis. In AAAI’10: Proceedings of Twenty-Fourth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 842-847, Atlanta GA, USA, 2010.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. The Relationship of Trust, Demand and Utility: Be More Trustworthy, Then I Will Buy More. In PST’10: Proceedings of the 8th Annual International Conference on Privacy, Security and Trust, pp. 72-79, Canada, August 2010. (Winner, Best Student Paper Award.)
- P.C. van Oorschot, Amirali Salehi-Abari, and Julie Thorpe. Purely Automated Attacks on PassPoints-Style Graphical Passwords. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 5(3): 393-405, 2010.
- Tony White, Amirali Salehi-Abari and Braden Box. On How Ants Put Advertisements on the Web. In IEA-AIE 2010: Proceedings of Twenty-Third International Conference on Industrial, Engineering and Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems, pp. 494-503, Spain, 2010.
- Tony White, Wayne Chu, and Amirali Salehi-Abari. Media Monitoring Using Social Networks. In Proceedings of The 2nd International Conference on Social Computing, pp. 661-668, Minneapolis MN, USA, August 2010.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. Towards Con-resistant Trust Models for Distributed Agent Systems. In IJCAI’09: Proceedings of the Twenty-first International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 272-277, Pasadena, CA, USA, 2009.
- Tony White, Shaun McQuaker, and Amirali Salehi-Abari. On the Importance of Relational Concept Knowledge in Referral Networks. Artificial Intelligence Review, 29(3):287-303, 2009.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. On the Impact of Witness-Based Collusion in Agent Societies . In PRIMA’09: Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Principles of Practice in Multi-Agent Systems, pp. 80–96, Nagoya, Japan, December 2009.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. The Uphill Battle of Ant Programming vs. Genetic Programming. In ICEC’09: International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 171-176, Madeira, Portugal, 2009.
- Tony White and Amirali Salehi-Abari. An Adaptive Swarm-based Algorithm for Resource Allocation in Dynamic Environments. In ICEC’09: International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 183-189, Madeira, Portugal, 2009.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. The Impact of Naive Agents in Heterogeneous Trust-aware Societies. In MABS’09: The 10th International Workshop on Multi-Agent-Based Simulation, Budapest, HU, 2009.
- Tony White, Shaun McQuaker, Amirali Salehi-Abari. Using Relational Concept Knowledge to Improve Search in Referral Networks. In AAMAS’09: Proceedings of the Eighth International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, pp. 1321-1322, Budapest, Hungary, 2009.
- Amirali Salehi-Abari and Tony White. Enhanced Generalized Ant Programming (EGAP). In GECCO’08: Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 111-118, Atlanta, USA, 2008.
- Tony White and Amirali Salehi-Abari. A Swarm-based Crossover Operator for Genetic Programming. In GECCO’08: Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1345-1346, Atlanta, USA, 2008
- Amirali Salehi-Abari, Julie Thorpe, and P. C. Oorschot. On Purely Automated Attacks and Click-Based Graphical Passwords. In ACSAC’08: Proceedings of the 2008 Annual Computer Security Applications Conference, pp. 111-120, Anaheim, CA, USA, 2008.